Wet conditions this spring have made it a challenge for growers to plant corn and soybean. Due to these planting delays, once fields are dry enough getting the crop into the ground will be the first priority. However, it is important to remember good weed control will be essential to get the most out of these crops...
May 20, 2014
The colder than normal spring and recent wet weather has made it difficult to spray winter wheat this year for weeds. While we normally would have all of our wheat herbicides applied by now, there are still several fields that have not been sprayed...
May 15, 2014
Herbicide-resistant Palmer amaranth continues to invade many areas of Michigan and the Upper Midwest. Our first encounter with Palmer amaranth in Michigan occurred in the fall of 2010.
A soybean producer in southwest Michigan was struggling with management of a weed he did not recognize. We were able to identify this weed as Palmer amaranth, and through greenhouse testing confirmed high levels of resistance to both glyphosate (Roundup) and ALS-inhibiting herbicides.
At this time, we also noticed several neighboring alfalfa fields where Palmer amaranth seed heads were poking just above the alfalfa canopy....
May 1, 2014
- 2014 Weed Control Guide for Field Crops (E-434) now available online!
- Registration is now open for the 2014 MSU Weed Tour- July 2nd!
- NEW extension bulletins:
- Take Action Herbicide-Resistance Management program
- June 26- Wheat tour at Saginaw Valley Reseach and Extension Center
- July 2- 2014 MSU Weed Tour
- August 26- Saginaw Valley Research and Extension Center summer tour